A conference organized for and by graduate students working in the many fields encompassed by the study of Astrobiology
Sponsored by the NASA Astrobiology Institute
University of Arizona, Steward Observatory and
National Optical Astronomy Observatory
To be held in Tucson, AZ, at the University of Arizona and Marriott Hotel
Why are we doing this?
The primary purpose of this conference is to bring together young scientists who are currently working in the field of astrobiology, and who hope to make a long term contribution to this field. Our goals are to:
- Give graduate students the opportunity to speak to fellow astrobiologists about their in-progress research and to teach one another about their respective “home” fields
- Promote professional connections between young astrobiologists in a conference setting
- Provide informal opportunities for establishing new friendships
- Encourage the asking of “stupid” questions during discussions both inside and outside the conference
- Practice communicating complex ideas where an established vocabulary may not already exist
Who Should Attend?
All graduate students and postdocs who study topics related to the origin of life on Earth and the distribution of life in the Universe should attend this conference. Those who would like to present posters on their own work related to astrobiology are also invited to do so--just indicate on the registration form that you will be bringing a poster, and type in your abstract for the Conference Proceedings.
Can we talk?
During the conference we will have a group discussion on various aspects of graduate student education and professional development in Astrobiology, some of which will be provided as written feedback to NAI. For example:
- Should there be an NAI listserv and how should this be managed?
- How can we increase student involvement at all Astrobiology conferences?
- Should formal interdepartmental seminars, field trips or other events be offered at all NAI Universities?
- Should primary field course requirements be altered to accomodate interdisciplinary work?
- How shall we start planning for the NEXT ABGradCon?
Please think about any other concerns/ideas that you would like to discuss about graduate astrobiology education here, and you are invited to submit them in advance as comments when you register.