Skip to main content
See the SWIFT Proposal for an in-depth discussion of the Science Drivers.
The following set of sample projects is intended to illustrate the general applicability of a spectroscopic facility like SWIFT.
- White dwarf Lum. Funct. - age of disk, thick disk, and halo
- Solar metallicity anomaly - abundances of dwarfs in Bulge
- Structure and abundance patterns in the MW from K-giants
- GC kinematics (binaries) and abundances (lithium-rich stars)
- Kinematics of MW halo - identifying tidal and remnant tails of dSph's
- Open cluster Solar analogs - the "Sun's" behaviour for 100's yrs
- Identification of brown dwarfs in open clusters
Resolved Stellar Populations
- Abundances and kinematics of nearby galaxies (M31, dSphs, M81) from halo giants and PNe
- dSph's - 3D kinematics when combined with space astrometry
- LMC/SMC populations
- age-metallicity relationship for field stars
- kinematic signatures of LMC-SMC-MW interactions
- spectroscopic binary distance to LMC/SMC
- LMC foreground - an intervening population?
Low Z Extragalactic [UNDER CONSTRUCTION]
- Abundance gradients in many cluster spirals
- Abundances and gradients in elliptical galaxies (PNe)
- Cluster structure from intracluster PNe
- GCs in ellipticals and spirals (abundances and kinematics)
- Identification of primordial abundance galaxies like IZw18 - What is the density of these as a function of redshift?
High Z Extragalactic [UNDER CONSTRUCTION]
- Large scale structure - testing CDM scenarios
- Cluster kinematics - when did they virialize? what is scale size?
- QSO line absorbers - which galaxy do they belong to?
- Testing cosmology (L, W) using Alcock-Paczynski method (does volume of space distort at high Z?).