rubinann15007 — Announcement
Rubin Digest 06 November 2015
6 November 2015
The Project Science Team met on November 2nd. Discussion included a review of the SDSS software bug database and implications for LSST Operations staffing estimates. Analysis shows that at 5 years after SDSS first light the number of new bugs reported had decreased by a factor of 5. Further, the bug reporting rate was highly correlated with SDSS Data Releases.
The LSST Weekly News Digest is now available for self-subscription; see http://lsst.org/news/weekly-digest . Initial subscribers include project members and members of Science Collaborations.
The LSST soccer highlight reel from LSST2015 in Bremerton has just been released at http://ls.st/ppa.
The Telescope & Site team is having a series of debriefing sessions November 6-12 to share information gained from the recent large procurement reviews: M1M3 Cell, Hexapod/Rotators, TMA, and Dome.
The Data Management (DM) Leadership Team will meet in Princeton the week of November 16th and considering how to address several emerging trends, including use of the AstroPY development framework and OpenStack cloud provisioning for data center infrastructure. DM is also ramping up an effort (led by Colin Slater and Mario Juric at UW) to understand community needs, and to flow that information down into DM's plans and documents.
The Chilean astronomical community has organized a two-day meeting in La Serena November 19-21 to discuss preparation for LSST data and how it can be best used to advance their research studies. Invited talks will present LSST context and current LSST-related projects. Practical aspects of LSST involvement including data access, computing needs, resources, and Chilean representation on LSST panels, will also be discussed.
LSST Presentations have been added to the public website Gallery in a separate category.
Safety Coordinator Sandra Romero, in a shared position between Gemini and LSST, will help monitor the on-site contractor's safety program and activities on Cerro Pachón.
Upcoming Meetings with with LSST Involvement
- November 12, 2015: LSST Workshop, noon @ 47th DPS Meeting, National Harbor, MD
- November 16, 2015: LSST Science Advisory Committee (SAC) Meeting, Tucson, AZ
- November 19-20, 2015: LSST Observing Strategy Retreat, Tucson, AZ
- November 19-21, 2015: Towards Science in Chile with LSST, La Serena, Chile
- December 14-15, 2015: Weak Lensing Workshop, UC Davis
- January 7, 2016: LSST Town Hall, 6:30pm @AAS 227, Kissimmee, FL
- February 22-24, 2016: LSST Joint Technical Meeting, Santa Cruz, CA
- March 8-10, 2016: 2nd Annual US-Chile Education Summit, Chile
- April 11-13, 2016: LSSTC Board Meeting in Washington, DC.
- May 24-26, 2016: XLDB 2016 Conference and Workshop, SLAC
- June 20-24, 2016: LSST@Europe2, Belgrade, Serbia
- June 28-July 1, 2016: SPIE Astronomical Telescopes & Instrumentation, Edinburgh, Scotland
- August 15-19, 2016: LSST 2016 Project & Science Workshop