Public Visits to Kitt Peak National Observatory
All public visits to Kitt Peak National Observatory (KPNO) are hosted by the our staff at the Kitt Peak Visitor Center where day-time guided tours and a variety of exciting evening stargazing programs are available. You may drive up to the summit without a reservation. Please note that no-one may visit after dark for any purpose unless registered for one of the evening programs.
- The Visitor Center is open every day from 9:00 am to 3:45 pm for daytime visitors and volunteer-led tours. It is not necessary to book in advance. NOTE that due to the Contreras Fire, KPNO is emporarily closed to visitors
The Visitor Center is closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day. Sometimes it is closed as a result of unforeseen circumstances, such as environmental events, that are beyond control, so please check our our website before ascending the mountain.
The Kitt Peak Visitor Center is your first stop on any visit and your springboard to informative daytime tours, nighttime stargazing and telescope viewing programs, fascinating exhibits, a terrific gift shop, and beautiful panoramic mountaintop views!
- During the pandemic, please wear mask at all times during the visit and observe 6' social distancing.
- Learn more about visiting Kitt Peak Visitor Center here.
- Explore the day- and night-time offers for Tours and Events here.
- Travel information to visit Kitt Peak can be found here.
By visiting the Kitt Peak National Observatory you implicitly accept the following Safety, Liability and Code of Conduct rules: