NOIRLab is pleased to receive public and educational visits to the NOIRLab Headquarters located at 950 N Cherry Ave, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA at no cost to our site, and make every effort to accommodate the public interested in learning about astronomical research/engineering activities. A minimum of 24 hours notice is necessary for scheduled public visit requests.
- At NOIRLab HQ the tours are limited to 15 visitors per tour.
- The minimum number of confirmed visitors to operate a tour is four people. If that number is not reached 24 hours before the visit, the tour will be canceled and the confirmed visitors alerted by email and phone by the coordinator of the local visit.
- Visits may be canceled due to operational or practical circumstances, in which case you will be notified by email as soon as we determine that a visit can not take place.
- Closed-toed shoes are mandatory.
- Pets are not allowed.
- Minors under six years old are not permitted.
- The tour is in English.
You must read and comply with our regulations. A form will need to be signed before sending your visit request.
When to Visit ?
Day and tour capacities
Times and meeting points
NOIRLab HQ, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Friday (1st of every month)
4–15 visitors per tour
Meeting point: 950 N Cherry Ave, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA.
What will you see on the Tour
Previously booked visitors will gather at the NOIRLab Reception, located at 950 N Cherry Ave, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA, at 10:00 a.m. on the day of the visit. The group will be greeted by the NOIRLab tour host, who will share safety and general recommendations. Restrooms are available at the start of the tour and various places in the building.
The visitors will be led on a walking tour of the NOIRLab Headquarters and a presentation on NOIRLab and its facilities will take place in the Main Conference Room. Visitors will have the opportunity to view the Sun through safe solar telescopes (weather permitting).
Around 11:30 am visitors will leave the facility.
Parking: Visitors will park on the University of Arizona campus. The closest parking garages are the Cherry Avenue Garage and the Second Street Garage. See the University Of Arizona Garage Rates for more information.
How to apply for a Public visit ?
- Select a Tour and complete the Reservation Form with at least 24 hours in advance.
- The sites you are visiting are active worksites so please accept the Safety, Liability and Code of Conduct rules and recommendations provided in the Form.
- Once you have submitted the form, you will receive an automated email informing you that we have received your booking; if you do not receive this notification please check your spam folder and if still not found send an email to us
- Please note that every effort will be made to follow through with your planned visit; however, certain circumstances may prevent us from being able to conduct the visit as planned. It is advisable to have a plan B, in case the visit is canceled. This can occur if the site becomes inaccessible due to weather, earthquake, or if there is an unplanned engineering event etc. If we need to cancel the visit we will let you know by e-mail as soon as we become aware of the potential issue.