NOIRLab is pleased to host public and educational visits (30-45 minutes) at our Gemini North Hilo Base Facility located at 670 N. A'ohoku Place, Hilo, Hawai‘i. A minimum of 24 hours notice is necessary for scheduled public visit requests.
- At the Gemini North Base Facility the tours are limited to 20 visitors per tour.
- The minimum number of confirmed visitors for a scheduled tour is four people. If the minimum number of people has not been met, (or the number has fallen below the minimum due to guests canceling) the day before to the scheduled visit, it will be canceled.
- Visits may be canceled due to unforeseen circumstances, in which case you will be notified by email as soon as we determine that a visit can not take place.
- Pets are not allowed.
During the reservation process we will ask you whether you comply with our Liability Rules. Please consult them here in advance:
When to Visit ?
What will you see on the Tour
Previously booked visitors will gather at Gemini North Hilo Base Facility, 670 N. A'ohoku Place, Hilo, Hawai‘i, at 10:00 am on the day of the visit, where they will be greeted by the NOIRLab tour guide. After checking in with your ID you will be given a brief introduction. The visitors will then view the Remote Observing room to learn how astronomers perform astronomical observations, and finishing in one of our meeting rooms with a talk about astronomy and local cultures. Around 11 am visitors will leave the facility.
How to book a Public visit?
- Select a Tour below and complete the Reservation Form at least 24 hours in advance of your desired date.
- The sites you are visiting are active worksites so please accept the Safety, Liability and Code of Conduct rules and recommendations provided in the Form.
- Once you have submitted the form, you will receive an automated email informing you that we have received your booking; if you do not receive this notification please check your spam folder and if still not found send an email to us.
- Please note that every effort will be made to follow through with your planned visit; however, certain circumstances may prevent us from being able to conduct the visit as planned. It is advisable to have a plan B, in case the visit is canceled. This can occur if the mountain sites become inaccessible due to weather, earthquake, or if there is an unplanned engineering event etc. If we need to cancel the visit we will let you know by e-mail as soon as we become aware of the potential issue.
Travel information to visit Gemini North Hilo Base Facility in Hilo Hawai‘i, can be found here.