rubinann15008 — Announcement
Rubin Digest 13 November 2015
13 November 2015
An executive summary of the LSST Technical Progress Report for September has been submitted to the NSF and posted on our public website: http://lsst.org/news/monthly-progress-updates
Lynne Jones and Mario Juric gave presentations at the IAU Symposium 318 "Asteroids: New Observations, New Models" in Aug 2015. Their symposium proceedings, describing LSST capabilities for detecting moving objects and new simulation software to evaluate the scientific effectiveness of those observations, is available on arXiv and linked from the LSST Solar System page.
A prototype Collimated Beam Projector is on its way from Harvard to Chile (via Tucson) in preparation for a Thanksgiving observing run on the Blanco 4m with DECam. This device, mounted in front of the telescope, will be used to test calibration techniques with the LSST.
Five hour-long Public Lectures and twenty-five Astronomy Slam videos from LSST2015 in Bremerton have been uploaded to the LSST YouTube Channel. The group “photo” taken by drone and the Soccer Highlights video are there also!
At last week’s meeting, LSSTC announced the appointment of newly-elected Executive Board member Vicky Kalogera from Northwestern University and re-elected Executive Board members Pat Burchat from KIPAC/Stanford, Connie Rockosi from UC Santa Cruz, and Michael Strauss from Princeton University.
Welcome to two new members of the Camera team: Sean Robinson with the Science Raft Team at BNL and Mechanical Engineer Derek Chow at SLAC.
Upcoming Meetings with LSST Involvement
- November 16, 2015: LSST Science Advisory Committee (SAC) Meeting, Tucson, AZ
- November 19-20, 2015: LSST Observing Strategy Retreat, Tucson, AZ
- November 19-21, 2015: Towards Science in Chile with LSST, La Serena, Chile
- December 14-15, 2015: Weak Lensing Workshop, UC Davis
- January 7, 2016: LSST Town Hall, 6:30pm @AAS 227, Kissimmee, FL
- February 22-24, 2016: LSST Joint Technical Meeting, Santa Cruz, CA
- March 7-11, 2016: LSST Dark Energy Science Collaboration (DESC) meeting, SLAC
- March 8-10, 2016: 2nd Annual US-Chile Education Summit, Chile
- April 11-13, 2016: LSSTC Board Meeting in Washington, DC.
- May 24-26, 2016: XLDB 2016 Conference and Workshop, SLAC
- June 20-24, 2016: LSST@Europe2, Belgrade, Serbia
- June 28-July 1, 2016: SPIE Astronomical Telescopes & Instrumentation, Edinburgh, Scotland
- July 18-22, 2016: LSST DESC meeting, at Oxford, UK
- August 15-19, 2016: LSST 2016 Project & Science Workshop